Life After Comics II > Defiant Comics Discussion :: Defiant Comics Discussion :: > What was DEFIANT planning when it folded?

What was DEFIANT planning when it folded? - Posted By Star Brand (starbrand) on 17th Oct 17 at 2:15pm
Looking at the DEFIANT solicitations that were printed in Previews that this board provided me, I'm interested in finding out as much info as possible on what DEFIANT had planned and never carried out. I know Shooter's Schism plot is out there, and that falls into the category of what I'm looking for. Anyone else have any info on what DEFIANT was planning when it folded?

Re: What was DEFIANT planning when it folded? - Posted By Star Brand (starbrand) on 17th Oct 17 at 2:38pm
Maybe the only info out there on what DEFIANT was planning when it folded is contained in the Schism plot and the Previews solicitations of issues that were never published...?

Re: What was DEFIANT planning when it folded? - Posted By Defiant1 (admin) on 17th Oct 17 at 6:22pm

Looking at the DEFIANT solicitations that were printed in Previews that this board provided me, I'm interested in finding out as much info as possible on what DEFIANT had planned and never carried out. I know Shooter's Schism plot is out there, and that falls into the category of what I'm looking for. Anyone else have any info on what DEFIANT was planning when it folded?

Keep in mind that computer formats have been updated many times since then and not all of the old formats can be read by modern software. I've been told that DEFIANT's publishing files were in an old QuarkXPress format. The creators that did have their files saved in obsolete formats may have had hard drive crashes. They may have given up on saving them because they were not patient enough to find software that could read the data. The screensaver images were in an "IMJ" file format and I had to scour the web to find something to read them. When I did find one piece of software to view them, it would not allow them to be saved as another format or print them. It would only allow me to view them. The only way I was able to share them was to take screen captures and crop down the images to remove the window border at the pixel level. I had to hack the disc to locate the unlock code for the hidden images. The software is so old that Windows 10 may not even run the program that I used to view them. The image resolution is that of a low quality gif file made for a 15 inch monitor. Back then on a small screen, they would've looked fine. Today, not so much.

This is an interesting Schism article:
http://defiant.x10.bz/Defiant_Reading_Room/Defiant_Articles/Vantage/Vantage_Magazine_Schism_Article.pdf

This is another very interesting DEFIANT article, but it seems to be more speculative in nature:
http://defiant.x10.bz/Defiant_Reading_Room/Defiant_Articles/Vantage/3_Articles_Vantage_Magazine.pdf

Defiant1

Re: What was DEFIANT planning when it folded? - Posted By Defiant1 (admin) on 17th Oct 17 at 6:58pm

Maybe the only info out there on what DEFIANT was planning when it folded is contained in the Schism plot and the Previews solicitations of issues that were never published...?

You may find more if you scour the later articles in the reading room section of my site. I posted links to 2 above.

Everything starts as a seed, and your quest here is what led me to create my site. In 1996, I had been in North Carolina. My route home took me through Charlotte the weekend of Heroes Con. The show blew me away because it was all comics. Atlanta hadn't had a show that large dedicated to just comics since the 80's. Dragon Con had become more of a multimedia convention. As I walked around, I saw artists selling art. I decided I wanted to buy some original art. I was thumbing through some pages that Andrew Pepoy was selling and I saw an unpublished Dark Dominion page he'd inked. I wanted it! I stared at it and felt dismay because there was a DEFIANT scene that I'd never seen before, but I had no idea what was going on. I'd need the script to know what was happening. I think he wanted $100 for the page, maybe more. I walked away. I stumbled across a page of Cavewoman art by Budd Root. He was selling my favorite page from Cavewoman: Rain #1 for $60. He was selling other pages I liked for $30. I opted to buy Budd's art and passed on the unpublished DEFIANT page. I don't regret my decision because financially it was the wisest investment. I did however leave wishing that I'd had more money with me so that I could've bought both. Seeing that page planted a seed. Another 5 or so years later, a friend told me that JayJay was selling color art from Valiant & DEFIANT. Using a friend's account, we both bid on her art and won every auction we wanted the most. We let some others win the auctions that we didn't care about as much. We then split our winning down the middle. I took the ones that collectively cost us the most because my friend was a cheapskate. Eventually, I bought most of those from him. We also bought an unpublished Dogs of War page that just happen to be auctioned the same night. In the process of bidding for the art, it dawned upon me that I wasn't sure which art came from which actual issues. I knew I'd bought a cover, but which issue? I started searching online. There was no reference site for the info I wanted. Price Guides listed comics that didn't exist. In my utter frustration I said "Someone should make a site for this company so that people know what exists." Then I thought about all the stuff I owned. I realized that I had no right to complain about there not being a reference site if I was unwilling to do it myself. So I did. My goal all along was to find out what existed and what didn't. Once I did that, I remembered that page of art that Andrew Pepoy had for sale. DEFIANT had filled me with a great deal of frustration when they shut down. The frustration never went away. As creators started contacting me, I'd ask if they had any unpublished art or scripts. At first it was affordable. As gossip went around the creative circles, artists started wanting jacked up prices for things. I was a market that hadn't existed before. I was someone actually asking to buy DEFIANT art. Prices went from $10 a page to $150 a page. My goal of reconstructing the unpublished art for the fans became unachievable financially for me. I wasn't buying it for me. I was buying it so that all the frustrated fans that had invested their money into the comics could at least get up to speed and know what the creators knew at the time it all ended. I felt that they deserved that much. When I saw my efforts making the creators greedy and only interested in capitalizing on the market I'd created for their old unwanted art, I gave up. As with all things, giving up sometimes opens the flood gates. I received most of my best unpublished content after I'd given up than I did when I was actively pursuing it.

Defiant1