Life After Comics II

Visit Base Classics - Gaming Chairs

--Recent Posts

Looking for comic book checklists?

Click Here!

Life After Comics II :: Defiant Comics Discussion :: Defiant Comics Discussion :: Post Message
Post Message
Name:
Subject:

Topic Summary
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (30th Aug 19 at 3:33am)

Well, it’s cool to have the jpeg.

I wish that people selling art had a better way to scan or photograph their art.

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (29th Aug 19 at 11:39pm)

Well, it’s cool to have the jpeg.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (29th Aug 19 at 11:31pm)

I grabbed the jpeg. I did not buy the page. LOL!

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (29th Aug 19 at 11:20pm)

Nice!
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (29th Aug 19 at 10:41pm)

There is a ton of Dogs of War original art on eBay right now.

There can't be a ton! I own most of them. LOL!

Defiant1

Images saved. Several of the pages are the same unsold ones from a few months back.

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (29th Aug 19 at 9:49pm)

There can't be a ton! I own most of them. LOL!

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (29th Aug 19 at 9:49pm)

I saw that and I had already grabbed the image...

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (29th Aug 19 at 6:10pm)

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (29th Aug 19 at 5:32pm)

Currently on eBay. Warriors of Plasm 13, page 1 color art.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warriors-of-Plasm-13-page-1-Original-Color-Art-Splash-Defiant-Comics-1994/323883627616?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item4b68f7f460:g:V4IAAOSwCoRdUyE1:sc:USPSPriority!85014!US!-1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (1st Aug 19 at 7:07pm)

In life, people part ways and go different paths. I used to think "Hey, I need to reach out and keep in touch with that person." After several high school reunions, I no longer think that. High School friends had forgotten memories that I felt were priceless. They've focused on their families and have only vague memories of what was special to me. We went separate ways for a reason. It was a conscious choice. Gowaltrip made such a choice and I'd feel really bad if he had spent 5 years trying to hold onto his comic book past while he suffered in other ways. His choices are organically evolved. I wish him the best, but I don't have a need to live in the past and question decision in the past. We all make the best choices we can with the information we know. I trust that he did that when he stopped visiting here. I did go and check his Facebook page. He's holding on and he now has a daughter that is priceless to him. He's not talking about everything he dealing with, but I get the impression it's a day to day challenge whatever it is.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (1st Aug 19 at 1:52pm)

That’s a shame you guys are out of touch. But, it happens in life.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (22nd Jul 19 at 6:32pm)

Didn't this thread used to have images of original DEFIANT art that sold on eBay?

I understand. Gowaltrip fell on hard times and was without internet for awhile. I think he was finally able to get a tablet. I've lost touch with him now, but I got the impression based upon Facebook that he had to sell his whole collection. I might be wrong, but that's because we haven't communicated in years.

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (22nd Jul 19 at 12:01pm)

That’s interesting info about that page selling previously! Yeah, I’d prefer having a computer, but I don’t.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (22nd Jul 19 at 5:12am)

This page sold for $289 in 2017. I thought the auction above was overpriced. The demand for DEFIANT art is very low. Unless you encounter one person that just has to have it, you can't really factor it as a good investment at this time.

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (22nd Jul 19 at 5:06am)

Couldn't access the board yesterday. I merged your posts from yesterday with an older thread. Evidently, you've created 5 threads over the past 10 years or so and I keep merging them. LOL!

Defiant1

In my defense, when the board changed over to this one that probably made me start at least one of those threads!

I wasn't including threads from the old board.
The reason is that you read the board on your phone. Too much information is here and phones aren't the best way to read the internet.
Twitter tried to force a phone interface onto Desktop users and I deleted my account.

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (22nd Jul 19 at 12:42am)

Couldn't access the board yesterday. I merged your posts from yesterday with an older thread. Evidently, you've created 5 threads over the past 10 years or so and I keep merging them. LOL!

Defiant1

In my defense, when the board changed over to this one that probably made me start at least one of those threads!

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (21st Jul 19 at 9:43pm)

The pages are also more expensive than what I paid. I'm more interested if there is a market for Dogs of War art. I think it's VERY small.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (21st Jul 19 at 9:40pm)

I’m surprised you didn’t comment on this, Defiant1. You don’t like the page?

It's okay. I don't buy off of eBay so there isn't much to say. One of the unpublished pages caught my attention more.
I've spent a lot of money the last couple of months. I considered contacting Anthony directly, but since I'm in a savings mode again, I'm not buying anything.
I saved the images.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (21st Jul 19 at 6:17pm)

I’m surprised you didn’t comment on this, Defiant1. You don’t like the page?

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (21st Jul 19 at 3:49pm)

Lol!!! Thanks.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (20th Jul 19 at 7:27pm)

Defiant1
Re: Defiant art on eBayPosted By Star Brand  (19th Jul 19 at 9:24pm)

Didn’t I have a thread here somewhere that kept track of Defiant art on eBay? I searched and couldn’t find it.
Re: Defiant art on eBayPosted By Star Brand  (19th Jul 19 at 8:34pm)

WOP 1 page 1 on the Bay.
$1,000 OBO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warriors-of-Plasm-1-original-art-David-Lapham-splash-page-1-Defiant-Valiant/273785281295?hash=item3fbedfdb0f%3Ag%3AOIcAAOSwysFb4D-f&fbclid=IwAR0F7vHCGxP5Z7jGPWRLTYhHbQNX1VjRCi0UKs7tpWqtpwLyJn4qojJjktg
Re: Defiant art on eBayPosted By Star Brand  (19th Jul 19 at 8:29pm)

WOP 2 page 10

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEFIANT-WARRIORS-OF-PLASM-2-p10-by-David-Lapham/133006971074?hash=item1ef7d550c2:g:lbQAAOSwyeNcS8lg
Re: Defiant art on eBayPosted By Star Brand  (19th Jul 19 at 8:26pm)

WOP 2 page 3
Features Glory, my favorite Defiant character. I’d buy it if I could.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEFIANT-WARRIORS-OF-PLASM-2-p3-by-David-Lapham/133006971181?hash=item1ef7d5512d:g:EuIAAOSwZDJcS8UJ
Defiant art on eBayPosted By Star Brand  (19th Jul 19 at 8:20pm)

Dogs of War 5 page 18
1/2 splash

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DOGS-OF-WAR-Defiant-Comics-5-pg-18-by-Georges-Jeanty-Granade-1-2-Splash/362405332098?hash=item54610a8482:g:20QAAOSwy7tbWx3~
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (7th Feb 19 at 2:55am)

That same seller has the Birth Of Defiant Universe art cover too. I think he once listed that as 5 grand some years back and slowly he marked it down. I think even 12 grand one time before that. Looking at his auctions, he sells current vei artwork too so I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of those forumers. I thought as a forumer there, he would have more knowledge that this was just an ad and at least have more info on the artist.

The only Schism promo art I remember seeing is this one on a promo card and the ads with the Zahnree character floating over earth. Never saw any solicted cover art.

This artwork has someone named Holdridge on it.

I don't know of a Holdridge. I really don't want to think too deeply about it. I've said it before, but I lost interest in DEFIANT art when the artists started jacking up the prices. There was no market for the art before my site. As soon as my site started sparking interest in the comics and art, prices escalated ten-fold. Does it make any sense for a person to drive up the prices of something they want to buy? They can ask what they want, but I'm not going to drive up the prices and then rush out and pay those prices. I have some degree of self-respect. I really only wanted the unpublished art so that I could recreate the stories. The creators started splitting up the artwork when they found out they could sell it. My moderate interest dropped to zero at that point. As far as I'm concerned, Lapham's art is in less demand than ever. He simplified his style and in my opinion he devalued the worth of all his art.

Buying art is just a novelty thing for me. I'm not yearning for the best. I don't want the worst at all. My collection is just a random whim to have a representation of the artist's work. I'm more likely to buy art now if I'm meeting the creator at a show. It'd just be a reminder that I met the creator.

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By vikingspawn  (6th Feb 19 at 9:00pm)

That same seller has the Birth Of Defiant Universe art cover too. I think he once listed that as 5 grand some years back and slowly he marked it down. I think even 12 grand one time before that. Looking at his auctions, he sells current vei artwork too so I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of those forumers. I thought as a forumer there, he would have more knowledge that this was just an ad and at least have more info on the artist.

The only Schism promo art I remember seeing is this one on a promo card and the ads with the Zahnree character floating over earth. Never saw any solicted cover art.

This artwork has someone named Holdridge on it.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (6th Feb 19 at 6:20pm)

I thought about buying art from Lapham directly through a web link I have saved. The prices would have been better by buying larger quantities, but I opted against that. I think that is his eBay account. I've seen the account before, but I might be wrong about it being him.

Hell would fucking freeze over before I'd pay even $200 for a piece of DEFIANT art and it would have to be the best of the best. $1200 is not even remotely tempting. The eBay ad is wrong on the second link also. It was published as the cover to CSN (Comic Shop News) #366 (June 29, 1994) . The ad states that it was unpublished. I do not believe that it was ever intended to be the cover to a Schism comic book. CSN ran artwork on their covers that were not used on the comics themselves. Where would the title logo have been placed? DEFIANT didn't have small title graphics. CSN did.

Furthermore, I think Valman51 is Greg. He can go fuck himself. I wouldn't buy a damn thing from him even if he was charging me only a penny.

You stirred up memories I'd forgotten about. It brought out my colorful language.

I dug a little. I thought Valman51 was Greg. He's implying online that it isn't him. The seller is being identified as someone in Illinois. I don't think it's former board member Vaultkeeper. I think he would've mentioned owning this if he'd owned in in 2002.

I don't even like thinking about the people on the Valiant message board. Some of those names piss me off because they're obnoxious slime balls. Some annoy me because they're ignorant about how obnoxious the slime balls are.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By vikingspawn  (6th Feb 19 at 10:58am)

This seller has a bunch of Plasm/Lapham pages:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/zisette/m.html?item=132930428552&hash=item1ef3455e88%3Ag%3AM9kAAOSwtcRcS846&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

And this seller has a Schism cover:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Defiant-Comics-Warriors-of-Plasm-crossover-cover-unpublished-Final-Issue-Rare/173776994025?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Daf5179e0ccab4c42afb2859bfa2b9ecd%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D9%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D222515629057%26itm%3D173776994025&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A908d909c-2a1f-11e9-9b9f-74dbd1809378%7Cparentrq%3Ac3509d651680a9c54ce8963fffcfb271%7Ciid%3A1

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (9th Jan 19 at 8:13pm)

Scott Braden is contributing to the zine, including a scan of the unpublished cover of WOP 14.

Did he work for DEFIANT? How did he get a picture of the color Schism page I own?

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (9th Jan 19 at 1:57pm)

Scott Braden is contributing to the zine, including a scan of the unpublished cover of WOP 14.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (8th Jan 19 at 6:43pm)

The report is that the entire issue was penciled, not just the cover. {Cool}
My goal was to recompile all of that for the fans. Too much greed stepped in the way. Buying the art made people split it up the art and try to sell the individual pieces for more. That's why I quit buying Defiant art. I wasn't trying to corner the market. I was trying to reconstruct the unpublished stories. I felt robbed when Defiant shut down. I felt like great things were set before the fans and the rug was pulled out from under our feet.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By vikingspawn  (8th Jan 19 at 1:50pm)

It's cool to see Lapham was still doing the next Plasm cover after the Schism event. I remember the Lorca character was left on earth after the Schism storyline according to the last pages of Plasm #13. This cover looks like he was going back to the Org again.

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (7th Jan 19 at 8:45pm)

Woah....I never saw that one before...

{Shocked} {Shocked}

Neither had I. The owner attempted to post it on the Facebook group that Mark started, but the image link was blocked. I found a way to grab it. I attempted to square it up with only moderate success.

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By vikingspawn  (7th Jan 19 at 7:21pm)

Woah....I never saw that one before...

{Shocked} {Shocked}
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (7th Jan 19 at 7:15pm)

Warriors of Plasm #14 (Unpublished Cover)

Owned by Scott Braden

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (18th Nov 18 at 12:10am)

Noticing that the original cover art to Birth of the Defiant Universe is being sold on a BIN for $1200 and eBay is saying that it previously sold for $2600. Isn't Greg the seller? Who is taking a $1400 loss on this piece?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Defiant-Birth-of-the-Defiant-Universe-1-cover-Art-David-Lapham-/173274404361?oid=172646745566

In all honesty, I quit buying DEFIANT art at the right time. People are jerking around buyers with the prices.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (3rd Nov 17 at 1:04pm)

Sweet. I'll keep posting DEFIANT art here as I see it sell.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (1st Nov 17 at 7:16pm)

I saved the image, but it was low resolution. I'm not going to take the effort to display it here. You can if you want. Less than $20 when the same seller is listing select Stray Bullets pages for about 40 times that with a BIN. Something is out of whack or it's proof that certain DEFIANT artists were overpricing their pages.

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (1st Nov 17 at 7:12pm)

Didn't this thread used to have images of original DEFIANT art that sold on eBay?

I found another one and merged two more threads. That makes 4 threads where you were posting DEFIANT art listings on eBay. Smiley

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics artPosted By Defiant1  (1st Nov 17 at 6:49pm)

Thanks. I'm not the sharpest pencil in the shed.

I think smartphone use is the bigger root cause.

Defiant1

Yeah, it sucks but that's what I mostly use for internet right now.

What sucks is visiting a site designed for a smart phone when I'm viewing it with a 32 inch monitor.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics artPosted By Star Brand  (1st Nov 17 at 6:23pm)

Didn't I have a thread where I listed closing DEFIANT art auctions with the ending price and a picture on the post for long-term reference?
Re: Defiant Comics artPosted By Star Brand  (1st Nov 17 at 6:22pm)

https://m.ebay.com/itm/DAVID-LAPHAM-Warriors-Of-Plasm-5-p20-ORIGINAL-COMIC-ART/401429299323?hash=item5d770d007b:g:jkoAAOSwkLhZ7mB5
Re: Defiant Comics artPosted By Star Brand  (1st Nov 17 at 6:20pm)

Defiant1

Yeah, it sucks but that's what I mostly use for internet right now.
Re: Defiant Comics artPosted By Defiant1  (31st Oct 17 at 6:33am)

Disappointing result, but not unexpected.

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics artPosted By Defiant1  (31st Oct 17 at 6:30am)

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics artPosted By Star Brand  (31st Oct 17 at 6:10am)

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Defiant-Dark-Dominion-9-page-1-splash-J-G-Jones-Mike-Barreiro-JG-Jones/263269315584?hash=item3d4c12f400%3Am%3AmOtcXUFp08THKC6i4kxGYmw
Re: Defiant Comics artPosted By Star Brand  (31st Oct 17 at 4:29am)

Re: Defiant Comics artPosted By Defiant1  (30th Oct 17 at 11:10pm)

I'm mirroring this post that Starbrand made in another thread:

Here's a link to the Warriors of Plasm 6 cover that recently sold for 240.32. I've also added a pic of it to this post.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warriors-of-Plasm-6-original-Cover-art-by-David-Lapham-Defiant-Comics-1993-/371146599528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566a0fac68

Re: Defiant Comics artPosted By Defiant1  (30th Oct 17 at 11:04pm)

You've started several, and this thread is the merger of two. There may be more threads. If I find the posts, I can lasso them into this thread.

Here is an altered and cropped version of the ebay photograph.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics artPosted By Star Brand  (30th Oct 17 at 8:24pm)

Re: Defiant Comics artPosted By Star Brand  (30th Oct 17 at 8:23pm)

https://m.ebay.com/itm/401430410580
Re: Defiant Comics artPosted By Defiant1  (25th Aug 17 at 7:59pm)

Merged two threads...

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (29th Jul 17 at 2:55pm)

I concur.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (29th Jul 17 at 2:53pm)

You'd think Lapham art would sell for more.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (29th Jul 17 at 1:02pm)

Warriors of Plasm 4 page 11 sells for $45 including shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warriors-of-Plasm-4-pg-11-original-art-by-David-Lapham-and-Mike-Witherby-/132266112802?hash=item1ecbacb722:g:gNwAAOSwuxpZbtW2
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (14th Jun 17 at 9:32pm)

Thanks for posting the pic.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (14th Jun 17 at 9:03pm)

That's probably an accurate value.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (14th Jun 17 at 8:19pm)

Dark Dominion 7 JG Jones page sells for $55.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DARK-DOMINION-7-PAGE-6-JG-JONES-ORIGINAL-ART-1ST-PRO-WORK-DEFIANT-COMICS-GLIMMER-/252923576056?hash=item3ae36b7ef8:g:ZpgAAOSw3mpXJQYJ
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (4th Jun 17 at 2:39pm)

Key piece.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (4th Jun 17 at 1:32pm)

Image added to the post relative to the cover of Dogs of War 2 selling.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (4th Jun 17 at 12:05pm)

Hopefully I'll add a scan today to the post regarding the Dogs of War 2 cover sale.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (1st Jun 17 at 7:59pm)

The Dogs of War 2 cover sold on a best offer for $250. I added that info to the post about the sale. I'm planning to add an image of the page this weekend.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (30th May 17 at 6:35pm)

I saw the listing when you posted the last art piece selling.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (30th May 17 at 6:08pm)

Dogs of War 2 cover sells on eBay for $250.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Defiant-Dogs-of-War-2-cover-splash-J-G-Jones-JG-Jones-/252909309526?hash=item3ae291ce56:g:dOMAAOSwgQ9VsY0U

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (28th May 17 at 9:56pm)

I know a lot of people who were completely dedicated to obtaining the ultimate collection. At some point they lost interest and abandoned it all. Iggy was well on his way to an ultimate Valiant & DEFIANT collection for obscurities and rarities. I'm just curious if this is a spiral backwards or just a refocus onto something else.

I can't even begin to count on my fingers and toes the number of collectors that abandoned the hobby forever. They were rabid to increase it and one day said "That's it" and sold it all off.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (28th May 17 at 9:08pm)

I've seen him continue adding impressive Valiant pieces to his collection. He continues building his collection of Valiant related items. Maybe he started branching out to DEFIANT and changed his mind. I just don't know if that type of thing is inordinately uncommon.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (28th May 17 at 8:58pm)

If it's true, I am actually curious what that would be.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (28th May 17 at 7:39pm)

Maybe he became more passionate about a different area of comic related collecting. Not uncommon to see that happen.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (28th May 17 at 7:22pm)

I've said it before, but iggy101us was buying up cool stuff and amassing a nice collection, now he's cashing in on one of a kind stuff. I can only imagine what he's buying next only to part with it.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (28th May 17 at 7:16pm)

Dark Dominion 9 JG Jones cover sells for $250.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Defiant-Dark-Dominion-9-cover-splash-J-G-Jones-Mike-Barreiro-JG-Jones-/262960473470?hash=item3d39aa657e:g:usgAAOSw9N1VsYyT

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (17th May 17 at 8:33pm)

I somehow came across this War Dancer tow page original art piece that sold. Someone got a heck of a deal. Terrible listing. Seller out of Great Britian.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARDANCER-4-VALIANT-DEFIANT-DAVE-TAYLOR-SIGNED-ORIGINAL-COMIC-ART-DOUBLE-/132171319820

That's probably where Dave Taylor lives. This is what I'd expect the pages to sell for.

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (17th May 17 at 7:18pm)

I somehow came across this War Dancer two page original art piece that sold. Someone got a heck of a deal. Terrible listing. Seller out of Great Britian.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARDANCER-4-VALIANT-DEFIANT-DAVE-TAYLOR-SIGNED-ORIGINAL-COMIC-ART-DOUBLE-/132171319820?hash=item1ec6064a0c%3Ag%3AR6sAAOSwSypZAGEv&nma=true&si=o7WEPkmexCMFGuPCSd6uX157PHU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (23rd Apr 17 at 7:43pm)

I'm saving that in my brain as a possible theory.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (23rd Apr 17 at 7:35pm)

Interesting. Perhaps he collected the art too.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (23rd Apr 17 at 7:24pm)

There used to be a letter writer from there back when the comics were published.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (23rd Apr 17 at 7:14pm)

Same seller out of the Netherlands that sold the Dogs of War splash page from issue 1 last week.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (23rd Apr 17 at 7:05pm)

Key pieces seem to be coming out of the woodwork.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (23rd Apr 17 at 4:18pm)

Warriors of Plasm #1, page 1 closes at $317 including shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAPHAM-WITHERBY-WARRIORS-OF-PLASM-1-Pg1-SPLASH-DEFIANT-Original-Comic-Art-NR-/142351307391

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (16th Apr 17 at 5:07pm)

I'm glad the seller got that much.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (16th Apr 17 at 4:03pm)

This Dogs of War page is for auction on eBay. It's page 2 from issue 1. Opening bid 99.99, with 35.00 shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEANTY-DOWNS-DOGS-OF-WAR-1-Pg2-SPLASH-Original-Comic-Art-NO-RESERVE-/142343073203?hash=item21244eedb3:g:RFQAAOSwuxFYzAL0

This piece sold for 134.99 with shipping.

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (13th Apr 17 at 8:39pm)

Strange. Lame article.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By vikingspawn  (13th Apr 17 at 7:55pm)

CBR remembers Defiant for this list:

http://www.cbr.com/15-defunct-comic-book-publishers/

(couldn't think of a thread to put this in so I picked the latest one)

Smiley
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (12th Apr 17 at 11:48pm)

Interesting.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (12th Apr 17 at 11:17pm)

I would not say "early on". 6 or 7 years elapsed. They went cheaply because no one was making offers on it. It was mostly sold in bulk in two or three large lots. Some pieces had been pulled aside and framed with a certificate to be sold that way. He kept those. Some better pages had been picked out of the artwork and sold individually. Nothing really stood out on the pages remaining. It's solid artwork, but the art is story driven. Without words or knowledge of the story, the images make very little impression.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (12th Apr 17 at 11:03pm)

Wow! Those pages went cheap early on!!
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (12th Apr 17 at 7:22pm)

More than half of the series sold for as little as $5 a page. I paid a friend $5, $10, or $15 for a lot of the pages he had bought for $5. I felt I was paying a lot for the $15 pages because nothing was dynamic or exciting about them. That page is better than 90% of the pages in the series because of the composition and simplicity. It's also a splash page. I think the demand or desire to own the pages is very low. I can't imagine there are many people who'd want to pay that much for a page. It really has nothing to do with the art. It has more to do with the fact that the characters are very obscure and that you can get better collectibles for $100. Fans of Georges Jeanty are going to want a Buffy page. Fans of Defiant are going to want something by Lapham, Weiss, or Pollina. Pollina and Weiss art are rarely seen, so I suspect that they are not selling their comic pages. I think 'average' quality Joe James pages were selling below this. 'Average' quality Lapham pages are selling below this as evident in your post above. I think the pricing is very optimistic. I think there are people who would be tempted. I agree with you that I don't think the auction is going to connect with any buyers who would be willing to pay that much. If the seller contacted me, I'd be willing to pay $20 plus reasonable shipping charges. My goal is not to collect the art. My goal is to consolidate all the art pages back to one collection. I think the complete set of story pages gives the art pages more worth than any individual page would have on it's own. I like the fact that a lot of the EC art was sold by set as complete stories.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (12th Apr 17 at 3:57pm)

I bet that Dogs of War page doesn't sell at that price.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (10th Apr 17 at 5:59pm)

I don't want to battle comic book auctions!

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (9th Apr 17 at 11:13pm)

That's half the battle! {Smile}
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (9th Apr 17 at 11:12pm)

After making this post, I learned to add an image of the page that sold and the sale price as I add posts to this thread. It would be nice to be able to look back at this page and have the sale price documented.

Winning bid:
US $58.99 ?

Defiant1

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (9th Apr 17 at 11:03pm)

After making this post, I learned to add an image of the page that sold and the sale price as I add posts to this thread. It would be nice to be able to look back at this page and have the sale price documented, and just as important an image of the page that sold.

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (9th Apr 17 at 10:43pm)

Nice page. Better than most of the ones I own.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (9th Apr 17 at 8:55pm)

This Dogs of War page is for auction on eBay. It's page 2 from issue 1. Opening bid 99.99, with 35.00 shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEANTY-DOWNS-DOGS-OF-WAR-1-Pg2-SPLASH-Original-Comic-Art-NO-RESERVE-/142343073203?hash=item21244eedb3:g:RFQAAOSwuxFYzAL0

Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (17th Feb 17 at 1:28pm)

The problem with the Valiant & DEFIANT color art is that the Doc Martin watercolors are highly susceptible to fading. If you buy it to display, it will start fading. One inker had a name for the color art but I can't remember the word. It basically meant "hidden" because you have to store it away from light. I don't display mine, so I haven't noticed a problem.

I think the Lapham page might've sold for more if it'd been from an earlier issue.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Brother J  (17th Feb 17 at 9:58am)

I hope the seller doesn't skimp on protection. One thing you discover when you buy art is that Jim Shooter comics are story driven and finding dynamic art pages in any one issue is tough. It doesn't help that Lapham's name isn't on people's mind as much.

Defiant1

Yeah, the page pictured does nothing for me from an original art perspective. I want any pages I acquire to "look cool" or have something special about them. Probably also why I somewhat preferred color art when it came to Valiant, I thought they generally looked nicer, plus of course were cheaper!
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (9th Feb 17 at 12:09am)

Good point about Lapham not being in the spotlight.
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Defiant1  (8th Feb 17 at 6:10pm)

I hope the seller doesn't skimp on protection. One thing you discover when you buy art is that Jim Shooter comics are story driven and finding dynamic art pages in any one issue is tough. It doesn't help that Lapham's name isn't on people's mind as much.

Defiant1
Re: Defiant Comics ArtPosted By Star Brand  (8th Feb 17 at 1:21pm)

The seller charged $18 shipping, so a few dollars more should be added to what we think of as the sale price on this piece. I added an image of the page that sold for reference purposes.

Close
COMIC CHECKLISTS

--Recent Posts

Looking for comic book checklists?

Click Here!

Extereme

Learn About Cookies!