Life After Comics II

--Recent Posts

Looking for comic book checklists?

Click Here!

Life After Comics II :: Defiant Comics Discussion :: Defiant Comics Discussion :: Post Message
Post Message
Name:
Subject:

Topic Summary
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (7th Nov 17 at 10:55pm)

Good eye. Complete basic runs though. I like documenting stuff like this. Might be cool to be able to look back on at some point.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (7th Nov 17 at 10:32pm)

Missing DEFIANT Genesis & Birth obviously.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (7th Nov 17 at 8:43pm)

First one of these I've seen sell in awhile. It sold for 44.99 before shipping.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Defiant-Comics-mega-set-of-53-VF-NM-multiple-complete-series-by-jim-shooter/311820471516?hash=item4899f2ccdc:g:ZWsAAOSwSlBYwuAb
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (27th Mar 17 at 5:30pm)

Smiley

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (26th Mar 17 at 9:29pm)

I counted the number of complete sets of each Defiant title available on eBay. In no particular order, here are my findings. I'll check periodically to see how this is trending. Some sellers have multiples of some of these sets in stock, and when they sell one they re-list it. Still, this can be useful and interesting information to me.

Defiant complete sets on eBay 10-25-16

War Dancer 16
Charlemagne 10
Warriors of Plasm 6
Dark Dominion 8
Good Guys 4
Dogs of War 5
Prudence & Caution 6

Defiant complete sets on eBay 3-26-17
War Dancer 15 (-1)
Charlemagne 8 (-2)
Warriors of Plasm 5 (-1)
Dark Dominion 8 (unchanged)
Good Guys 5 (+1)
Dogs of War 5 (unchanged)
Prudence and Caution 7 (+1)

Recap: Since last time I counted how many DEFIANT complete sets of each title were available on eBay, three sets had declined by a total of four, two sets were unchanged, and two sets were up a total of two. Not much was really determined, as there was a net of two less DEFIANT sets by title for sale on eBay. There were five months and one day between comparisons. Since I really dig this sort of thing, I won't be surprised if I find myself doing this again later in the year.

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (26th Mar 17 at 7:48pm)

Price trends and availability are interesting. It seems plausible that rarities would start drying up as collectors acquire them and stash them away in their collections. Sales on sets affects how many people are stashing those rarities when they acquire them.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (26th Mar 17 at 4:12pm)

I counted the number of complete sets of each Defiant title available on eBay. In no particular order, here are my findings. I'll check periodically to see how this is trending. Some sellers have multiples of some of these sets in stock, and when they sell one they re-list it. Still, this can be useful and interesting information to me.

War Dancer 16
Charlemagne 10
Warriors of Plasm 6
Dark Dominion 8
Good Guys 4
Dogs of War 5
Prudence & Caution 6

I'm bumping this post, as if I get time I may soon do a comparison of this data compared to what's out there on eBay now.

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (14th Jan 17 at 5:51pm)

Someone bought 33 DEFIANTS from one seller today. It could be someone looking for CGC candidates. Increase in price and demand for slabs can mean increase in price and demand for raw copies too.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (23rd Dec 16 at 1:47pm)

I agree.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (22nd Dec 16 at 11:54am)

If the lot was missing later issues like WOP 11 and 13, the 87ยข an issue might have been too much. It's worth holding out and paying $1.50 each to get the last issues. I wouldn't value WOP #1-4 above a dime each. They are too common to be worth anything.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (22nd Dec 16 at 11:48am)

You're probably right. From looking at the picture I notced it was missing WOP 11 and 13. I didn't feel like trying to figure out what else it was missing.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (22nd Dec 16 at 11:03am)

Not a good idea, but I suspect that he just wanted to get rid of them.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (22nd Dec 16 at 10:44am)

For an incomplete set like that yes. Complete sets with all DEFIANT regular issues have been selling for around 1.50 per book including shipping recently, as documented in this thread.
The seller of this most recent auction didn't denote which comics were for sale, except by providing a picture of the entire lot. That makes it much more difficult to figure out whether to buy it or not. The seller ended up discounting his price 30% from his original asking price.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (22nd Dec 16 at 2:04am)

A lot of 43 DEFIANTS just sold on eBay for 37.54 including shipping. Missing about ten books for a complete set of regular DEFIANTS.

87 cents a book. In all honesty, that's about right.

Defiant1

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (22nd Dec 16 at 1:22am)

A lot of 43 DEFIANTS just sold on eBay for 37.54 including shipping. Missing about ten books for a complete set of regular DEFIANTS.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (6th Dec 16 at 8:17pm)

I think selling basic sets minus one-shots is the wisest way to sell. Sell rarities separate. Sell package deals of one-shots separately (likely incomplete).

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (6th Dec 16 at 7:54pm)

Over the last three months, here's how many of each DEFIANT sets have sold.

Charlemagne 0-5 (2 sales)
Dark Dominion 1-10 (2 sales)
Dogs of War 1-5 (1 sale)
Good Guys 1-9 (2 sales)
Prudence & Caution 1-2 (1 sale)
War Dancer 1-6 (3 sales)
Warriors of Plasm 1-13 (4 sales)

Additionally, three virtually complete DEFIANT sets have sold. These sets had all the basic comics in them.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (26th Nov 16 at 12:59am)

I find it interesting if my collection value escalates at a high rate. I'd need to be checking out my Bronze age Marvel. That stuff keeps going up.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (25th Nov 16 at 10:50pm)

Down to four WOP 1-13 sets on eBay after two sold in the last eight days. Maybe new listings will pop up. Maybe these last four will sell out. I always find this stuff interesting.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (26th Oct 16 at 9:28pm)

Sets on eBay are going to be picked based upon what people have and what people think they can sell. Wardancer sets have good art and are easier to compile that Plasm or Dark Dominion. It's also a smaller series that fits in a box better. It's a good number of books to list in one auction.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (26th Oct 16 at 9:24pm)

I don't see any of these as complete sets, so the comparisons in my opinion are inconsistent at best. If I was going to research the price of title sets, I'd see what the individual issues went for at Mile High & Lonestar. Maybe they are out of the last issues. If so I'd see what the last issues went for on eBay and total that up with the issues available at a big online retailer. Sets that include binders are going to all be different. There are countless variations that could be obtained. I "upgraded" my character cards in my binder to the foil versions. Most are going to be incomplete on chase cards. Simply going online and buying bulk sets is not the best way to approach collecting a full set. I would look for bulk sets that include the highest percentage of rare items. That'd be the best way to get a deal on them. Everything should be centered on getting the rare items at the cheapest rate. The commons are extremely easy to get.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (26th Oct 16 at 8:07pm)

I think there might be more sales of these individual sets as long as sets comprised of all Defiant titles in one batch aren't being offered. It that's true, it would put pressure on prices to move up.
In any event I find it interesting there are less listings for Good Guys complete sets than any other Defiant title in eBay right now. Dogs of War sets have the next to fewest listings followed by a tie between WOP and Prudence and Caution. I've no idea why there are more sets of War Dancer out there on eBay than any other Defiant title.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (26th Oct 16 at 7:07pm)

What manner of pressure?

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (26th Oct 16 at 2:53pm)

I do expect there could be some more pressure on these individual sets since there aren't currently any complete sets of all Defiant titles on eBay except the one with the $310 asking price on it.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (26th Oct 16 at 2:52pm)

War Dancer 16
Charlemagne 10
Warriors of Plasm 6
Dark Dominion 8
Good Guys 4
Dogs of War 5
Prudence & Caution 6
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (19th Oct 16 at 7:45pm)

I first noticed this DEFIANT "complete" set of 62 pieces on eBay a couple months ago. It's priced at $310, which is far more than any I've ever seen priced at. I keep forgetting about it, but it is a DEFIANT set that's for sale. Here's the description given and a link to it.

The is the Defiant Comics mother-lode! Here is what this fine lot has to offer! "Plasm"(Binder-0), "Dark Dominion"(Binder-0), "Splatterball"(One-Shot), "Warriors of Plasm"(1-13), "Warriors of Plasm-Home for the Holidays"(One-Shot), "Dark Dominion"(1-10, Duplicate #'s 1), "War Dancer"(1-6, Duplicate #'s 1), "The Good Guys"(1-9, Duplicate #'s 1 &2), "Dogs of War"(1-5), "Prudence & Caution"(1-2, Duplicate #'s 1), "Charlemagne"(0-5), "The Origin of the Defiant Universe"(One-Shot) and "Dark Dominion" #1 signed by Defiant CEO, Jim Shooter! This is the most complete lot of Defiant comic books that you will find on Ebay! Thank you!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Defiant-Comics-The-Definitive-Lot-62-Issues-Plasm-Good-Guys-Dark-Dominion-ETC-/191990833089?hash=item2cb38b9fc1:g:O~EAAOSwQJhUcVkw
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (16th Oct 16 at 1:58pm)

There are no complete DEFIANT sets on eBay at the moment. I'll be watching to see if Cyberspace lists another.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (16th Oct 16 at 1:22pm)

The DEFIANT set that sold on eBay this morning went for 64.99 plus 12.25 shipping. It was the third (relatively) complete DEFIANT set sold by Cyberspace Comics since I started this thread. He raised the price and relisted this set the other two times he sold one. I'll be watching to see if he has another to offer. The set contained the following, in advertised VF-NM condition.

Charlemagne #0 by Jim Shooter & Adam Pollina
2.Charlemagne #1
3.Charlemagne #2
4.Charlemagne #3
5.Charlemagne #4
6.Charlemagne #5 (last issue)
7.Dark Dominion #1 by Len Wein & Joseph James
8.Dark Dominion #2
9.Dark Dominion #3
10.Dark Dominion #4
11.Dark Dominion #5
12.Dark Dominion #6
13.Dark Dominion #7
14.Dark Dominion #8
15.Dark Dominion #9
16.Dark Dominion #10 (last issue)
17.Defiant Genesis #1 ComicFest '93 (one-shot)
18.Dogs of War #1 by Jim Shooter & Georges Jeanty
19.Dogs of War #2
20.Dogs of War #3
21.Dogs of War #4
22.Dogs of War #5 (last issue)
23.the Good Guys #1 by Jim Shooter & Grey
24.the Good Guys #2
25.the Good Guys #3
26.the Good Guys #4
27.the Good Guys #5
28.the Good Guys #6
29.the Good Guys #7
30.the Good Guys #8
31.the Good Guys #9 (last issue)
32.the Great Grimmax #0 (one-shot)
33.the Origin of the Defiant Universe #1 (one-shot)
34.Prudence & Caution #1 by Chris Claremont & Jim Fern
35.Prudence & Caution #2 (last issue)
36.War Dancer #1 by Alan Weiss & Jim Shooter
37.War Dancer #2
38.War Dancer #3
39.War Dancer #4
40.War Dancer #5
41.War Dancer #6 (last issue)
42.Warriors of Plasm #0
43.Warriors of Plasm #1 by Jim Shooter & David Lapham
44.Warriors of Plasm #2
45.Warriors of Plasm #3
46.Warriors of Plasm #4
47.Warriors of Plasm #5
48.Warriors of Plasm #6
49.Warriors of Plasm #7
50.Warriors of Plasm #8
51.Warriors of Plasm #9
52.Warriors of Plasm #10
53.Warriors of Plasm #11
54.Warriors of Plasm #12
55.Warriors of Plasm #13 (last issue)
56.Warriors of Plasm: Home For the Holidays (one-shot)

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (16th Oct 16 at 11:24am)

Another nearly complete set of DEFIANT sold this morning on eBay. I'll post specifics later today. Yeah, two pretty much back-to-back.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (16th Oct 16 at 11:23am)

Thanks.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (16th Oct 16 at 2:13am)

Off the top of my head, I notice no Charlemagnes are in the set.

No Dark Dominion binder. No Charlemagne. No Birth of the DEFIANT Universe. No DEFIANT Genesis variants. No Origin of the DEFIANT Universe.

Defiant1

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (15th Oct 16 at 9:26pm)

Here's a list of what was in the DEFIANT set that sold earlier this week for 94.99 including shipping. This was described as a high grade set of nearly every comic DEFIANT published. No specific grades were given.

DEFIANT GENESIS COMICFEST '93 ONE SHOT

PLASM ZERO ISSUE BINDER with full set of cards and 7 out of 9 foil cards subset and the exclusive Splatterball exclusive comic

THE GREAT GRIMAX ONE SHOT

WARRIORS OF PLASM 1-13

WARRIORS OF PLASM HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS prestige format one shot

WARRIORS OF PLASM COLLECTED EDITION TPB

DARK DOMINION 1-10

WAR DANCER 1-6

DOGS of WAR 1-5

THE GOOD GUYS 1-9

PRUDENCE & CAUTION 1-2

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (15th Oct 16 at 9:00pm)

Off the top of my head, I notice no Charlemagnes are in the set.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (15th Oct 16 at 8:59pm)

Here's a list of what was in the DEFIANT set that sold earlier this week. This was described as a high grade set of nearly every comic DEFIANT published. No specific grades were given.

DEFIANT GENESIS COMICFEST '93 ONE SHOT

PLASM ZERO ISSUE BINDER with full set of cards and 7 out of 9 foil cards subset and the exclusive Splatterball exclusive comic

THE GREAT GRIMAX ONE SHOT

WARRIORS OF PLASM 1-13

WARRIORS OF PLASM HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS prestige format one shot

WARRIORS OF PLASM COLLECTED EDITION TPB

DARK DOMINION 1-10

WAR DANCER 1-6

DOGS of WAR 1-5

THE GOOD GUYS 1-9

PRUDENCE & CAUTION 1-2
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Brother J  (15th Oct 16 at 2:54am)

went back and read some old posts in this thread. Was interesting to read the opinions on Cyberspace Comics. I have met him at local comic shows. First ran into him posting on the VALIANT board, then found out he was attending the same comic shows I was attending and rooting through the same cheap boxes I was. I think he also buys in bulk from at least one dealer I see at the local shows. I admire his setup, he has thousands of listings on eBay. I have trouble keeping up with the few listings I have, but then I only do it in my spare time. His grading is sketchy, but if you read his listings, you can see that he's giving very loose condition definitions. He lists stuff with high prices, but most stuff has Best Offer.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (13th Oct 16 at 6:24pm)

A set of DEFIANT comics advertised as virtually every comic DEFIANT published sold today on eBay for 80.00 plus 14.99 shipping. That's the most I've ever seen such a set sell for. This weekend if I get a chance I'll list specifically which issues were in the set.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (18th Jun 16 at 4:32pm)

Good point.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (18th Jun 16 at 4:31pm)

Another set of all regular Defiants for me to watch. I remember about ten years ago when these sets went for about $25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEFIANT-COMIC-BOOK-LOT-EVERY-COMIC-PUBLISHED-HI-GRADE-/322157377523?hash=item4b021377f3:g:ejIAAOSwzJ5XZYvJ

It's missing stuff, but it's got a card set.

Defiant1

It's got all the regular comics doesn't it? What's it missing off the top of your head?

I don't see Origin of the Defiant Universe. That's a common book. That stood out for me.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (18th Jun 16 at 4:29pm)

Then there's this set. It's been relisted a number of times. It's obviously way over priced, but I decided to watch it today anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Defiant-Comics-The-Definitive-Lot-62-Issues-Plasm-Good-Guys-Dark-Dominion-ETC-/191900370290?hash=item2cae274572:g:O~EAAOSwQJhUcVkw

Completely overpriced, unnecessary duplicates, missing premium books.

Defiant1

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (18th Jun 16 at 4:29pm)

Another set of all regular Defiants for me to watch. I remember about ten years ago when these sets went for about $25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEFIANT-COMIC-BOOK-LOT-EVERY-COMIC-PUBLISHED-HI-GRADE-/322157377523?hash=item4b021377f3:g:ejIAAOSwzJ5XZYvJ

Defiant1

It's got all the regular comics doesn't it? What's it missing off the top of your head?

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (18th Jun 16 at 4:25pm)

Defiant1

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (18th Jun 16 at 3:55pm)

Then there's this set. It's been relisted a number of times. It's obviously way over priced, but I decided to watch it today anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Defiant-Comics-The-Definitive-Lot-62-Issues-Plasm-Good-Guys-Dark-Dominion-ETC-/191900370290?hash=item2cae274572:g:O~EAAOSwQJhUcVkw
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (18th Jun 16 at 3:54pm)

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (29th May 16 at 1:08pm)

The seller has listed another complete set of regular edition Defiant comics. In review, he sold one set in May for 49.99 and raised the price to 59.99 and sold that one in May as well. Now he has raised his price to 64.99 on this set.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (17th May 16 at 7:08pm)

Lol!
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (17th May 16 at 4:51pm)

Crap! I need a CoA for all the signed books in my collection. I need to print one out and sign it myself.

Defiant1

I think a COA issued by you for a DEFIANT creator's sig would be legit. You're perhaps the foremost DEFIANT expert walking the earth, aside from DEFIANT insiders.

Ha! I should buy up dozens of Charlemagne #4, sign the letters page and sell them with a COA!

Defiant1

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (17th May 16 at 4:47pm)

Yea, the certificate says it's from MegaCards Inc which sounds like something put together for the home shopping channel.

There is space on the sides of the bag so the seller could easily move the sides of the books around to see each issue in there and list it on the auction.

Not worth more than $20 if lucky.

Smiley

I have no idea about the certificate. Those mean little to me anyway.
I definitely agree that he could slide the books and see what's in the set.
$20 would be for the suspicious COA.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (17th May 16 at 12:28pm)

Crap! I need a CoA for all the signed books in my collection. I need to print one out and sign it myself.

Defiant1

I think a COA issued by you for a DEFIANT creator's sig would be legit. You're perhaps the foremost DEFIANT expert walking the earth, aside from DEFIANT insiders.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By vikingspawn  (17th May 16 at 11:07am)

Yea, the certificate says it's from MegaCards Inc which sounds like something put together for the home shopping channel.

There is space on the sides of the bag so the seller could easily move the sides of the books around to see each issue in there and list it on the auction.

Not worth more than $20 if lucky.

Smiley
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (16th May 16 at 9:15pm)

Yeah. I can tell you there is no copy of Birth of the Defiant Universe in there. The zoom feature makes that obvious. Complete rip off. The clincher is the CoA for me... useless.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By vikingspawn  (16th May 16 at 8:42pm)

He writes he won't open the bag and won't accept returns if it's opened. You can tell from the side spines it's just random issues from the regular runs.

$245 for a "grab bag" sealed in plastic. Smiley

He even says if you find a Birth of Defiant Universe in there, he'll trade you for a mad magazine.

{Rolleyes}
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (16th May 16 at 8:07pm)

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By vikingspawn  (16th May 16 at 4:16pm)

This one is hilarious:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Origins-of-the-Defiant-universe-Qty-19-sealed-cert-of-auth-signed-LG-Poster-/121987877435?hash=item1c670b4a3b:g:IkYAAOSw~oFXOSSn

Smiley
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (14th May 16 at 11:33am)

The B&W episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies are funnier than the color ones. That's true of almost all of those old comedy shows in the 60's that switched to color.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By vikingspawn  (14th May 16 at 11:02am)

It was all real!

Defiant1

{Grin}

Beverly Hilbillies was another good one. That one had long storylines over more than one episode that I appreciated as a kid.

Smiley
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (12th May 16 at 7:01pm)

It was all real!

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By vikingspawn  (12th May 16 at 5:53pm)

I'm sure it's common knowledge in marketing. When we grew up, there was "Happy Days" on TV featuring people from the 1950's. A couple of decades later ..."That 70's Show" was on TV.

Defiant1

When I was little and watched Happy Days reruns, I thought it took place in real time. #sb#

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (12th May 16 at 1:18pm)

Good point. Chuck was ahead of the comic retailer curve on marketing by a long way. I'm not sure others will ever catch up to him.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (12th May 16 at 5:48am)

I'm sure it's common knowledge in marketing. When we grew up, there was "Happy Days" on TV featuring people from the 1950's. A couple of decades later ..."That 70's Show" was on TV.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (12th May 16 at 12:27am)

Greg may have got the 20 year cycle from Chuck R. He's talked about that for years.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (5th May 16 at 6:05pm)

I remember when people disrespected comics from the 70s, and were amazed when they started going up in value. I then predicted comics from the 80s would be the next stuff to go up. It almost seemed like a bold prediction at the time, and seems surreal now but it's true. Back then 80s stuff seemed so common and insignificant. DEFIANTS will go up in price. I'm doing this for love, but can be rewarding when my predictions come true. Once DEFIANTS have increased in price it will seem obvious they were going to all along. Just my prediction. {Smile}

Comics in the 70's were very popular among the fans as they were in the 80's. There is always a cynical perspective from the preceding generation. Greg has correctly identified a 20 year cycle. By that I mean that nostalgia kicks in and fans scurry to buy their beloved childhood items. DEFIANT is passing that cycle and the industry has been running off the fans who would be jumping on board to buy any comics... new or old. Also, DEFIANT was publishing during the collapse of the industry when there was a huge exodus of fans from the hobby. People were buying comics to flip, and much of the product wasn't even read. If you compare early Valiant to EC, Solar or Magnus might compare to Tales From the Crypt or Mad comics. There is an ongoing interest and nostalgia for them. Defiant would compare to Kurtzman's Humbug publication. It's an interesting novelty that raises an eyebrow, but it's not got the same interest as Mad or Tales From the Crypt.

Defiant1

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (5th May 16 at 5:51pm)

Atlas Comics from the 70s lasted about a third as long as Defiant, and their books have gone up in price. By the time they were as old as DEFIANTs are now they were selling for more than DEFIANTs are. With inflation, the lower-printed DEFIANTs should be selling for more than Atlas books were in the mid-nineties. DEFIANT put out mostly better product, too.

The Atlas fan base is a subset of the Marvel fan base. They were made with some legendary creators including Neal Adams in his prime. They have the look and feel of a Marvel comic intentionally. Some of the characters were revived by Marvel with different names. Atlas books in the mid-nineties were plentiful in dollar boxes. Interest in Atlas spiked when the talk of a revival started, but that was mainly due to speculation. I see no searches for Atlas titles bringing people to my messageboard or web pages anymore. DEFIANT characters need to be reintroduced or they will be forgotten. I've seen more interest in Ultraverse the past few years than I have Atlas or DEFIANT. Everyone should know I think Ultraverse sucks. I'm not trying to praise Ultraverse books by stating that collectors are showing more interest in them.

My biggest generator of traffic has always been my EC checklist. I have a steady flow of traffic interested in the Canadian EC reprints. Rarity play a huge factor in that. The American, Italian, Australian, and British EC reprint checklists are not generating any interest, but most of those lists are less than 6 months old.

My Charlton checklist is getting a fair amount of traffic, but that is to be expected considering the volume of output they produced. No specific Charlton title is dominating the traffic that visits my site or messageboard.

I think you personally could spark interest in DEFIANT online, but it's a full time effort to get the spark started and then maintain that spark. You also take the risk of being ridiculed and having a section of the fan base sit back and say "Oh, it's him again." It's a fine line between promoting a dead universe and receiving the negative criticism.

Defiant1

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (5th May 16 at 5:25pm)

I don't think that affects the sense of nostalgia regarding DEFIANT though.

I think it does. DEFIANT collectors are a subset of Valiant collectors and I think the interest in Valiant has been waning for years. People still want comics to read. Prices will ebb and flow, but I don't think there will be a huge increase in value because people still want comics to read. Supply outweighs demand. It will take a huge number of fans to drive up the values significantly because the supply outweighs the demand.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (5th May 16 at 12:30pm)

I remember when people disrespected comics from the 70s, and were amazed when they started going up in value. I then predicted comics from the 80s would be the next stuff to go up. It almost seemed like a bold prediction at the time, and seems surreal now but it's true. Back then 80s stuff seemed so common and insignificant. DEFIANTS will go up in price. I'm doing this for love, but can be rewarding when my predictions come true. Once DEFIANTS have increased in price it will seem obvious they were going to all along. Just my prediction. {Smile}
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (5th May 16 at 10:53am)

Atlas Comics from the 70s lasted about a third as long as Defiant, and their books have gone up in price. By the time they were as old as DEFIANTs are now they were selling for more than DEFIANTs are. With inflation, the lower-printed DEFIANTs should be selling for more than Atlas books were in the mid-nineties. DEFIANT put out mostly better product, too.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (5th May 16 at 2:30am)

I don't think that affects the sense of nostalgia regarding DEFIANT though.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (5th May 16 at 12:27am)

The biggest problem is that the story arcs never reached completion and essentially there is no resolution or sense of completeness to anything they published.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (5th May 16 at 12:20am)

When I first watched compete Defiant sets they went for about $25 each on eBay. At some point DEFIANT back issues will rise in price. The quality of the product was too good for them not to.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (4th May 16 at 11:53pm)

Since the later issues were sold in relatively low numbers, there comes a point where most retailers would have to buy the later issues in order to build sets to sell. Initially, Warriors of Plasm #1 had decent saturation into the market. As sales didn't keep pace with orders, there would be a lot of retailers stuck with excess stock on Warriors of Plasm #4. The odds of someone being stuck with ten Dogs of War #5 to make ten sets is very remote. If they do have 10 copies of Dogs of War #5, then they probably have 200 copies of Warriors of Plasm #4.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (4th May 16 at 11:02pm)

So far the seller hasn't put up another set.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (3rd May 16 at 6:57pm)

That seller just sold another complete DEFIANT set. I'll post a link, etc. over the weekend. This is a good sign for me, since I compulsively hoarded DEFIANTs based on my belief they will grow in demand because of the quality of the product.
This set went for $10 more than the last one, and didn't last long. I'm interested to see if this seller will list another. I'm not listing any Defiant sets until I go through all my DEFIANTs and pick out copies for professional grading. That's going to take me awhile.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By vikingspawn  (24th Apr 16 at 7:46pm)

Yea, that guy blows. Buying from him is money wasted. And he gives the smarmiest attitude in return.

My favorite was his restocking fees bs. Sack of shit seller.

{Rolleyes}

Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (24th Apr 16 at 4:43pm)

Ahhhh...
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (24th Apr 16 at 4:29pm)

By that I simply mean that I've heard he's someone to avoid.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (24th Apr 16 at 4:13pm)

Uh oh...
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (24th Apr 16 at 2:28pm)

I think I know why the name sounds familiar. Smiley

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (24th Apr 16 at 11:57am)

Wow. That's terrible. I actually bought a book from him and got it slabbed and it came back a CGC 9.6. Relative to the price that set sold for, over the years I've seen several Defiant complete sets sell on eBay. By complete I mean they contained all the complete runs of the regular issues. Those sets never broke $30. That's why this sale stands out to me. I'll be interested to see if the relisted set at $10 more sells.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By vikingspawn  (24th Apr 16 at 11:03am)

I bought from that seller before years ago. ugh....he's worst person/seller to deal with and the books he ships are in the worst possible conditions with no shame in selling them at high prices. It was for alot of books on one of the Dark Horse lots. I probably spent about a hundred for his damaged books. He prices them high and sends the most damaged ones possible. Sloppy packaging too.

I bought from him again by accident years later and then when I remembered it was his cyber name and him again, I asked for a refund quick. Then he tried to keep my refund for his "restocking fees" excuse. {Rolleyes}

I triple check the sellers names before I impulse buy any quick comics because of that guy.

Just look at his neg feedback.

{Rolleyes}
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (24th Apr 16 at 4:20am)

One stop shopping provides a value added service. You can collectively charge more for the individual items because you are saving the customer time.

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (24th Apr 16 at 3:58am)

I've run into that seller on boards around the 'net. Maybe that's why. I don't recall his user ID.
I'm thinking that was probably purchased at least in part as a reader set.
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Defiant1  (24th Apr 16 at 3:01am)

Most of the books in that listing were changing hands for a dime a piece or less. $60 is a good mark-up if they were bought in bulk at aftermarket wholesale prices. It's not a good sell price if you bought these at wholesale prices when they were new. I'm neither excited nor discouraged. I only advise buying DEFIANT as sets and my suggestion is to hold out for sets that do have the rarer stuff. Buying everything one at a time would cost a lot more and require a longer investment of personal time searching for last issues and such.

Why does that eBay store name look familiar?

Defiant1
Re: Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (23rd Apr 16 at 11:07pm)

I listed my true motives for interest in these sets, but now that I think about it I am sitting on a bunch of Defiant back issues and I suppose I should be interested for that reason too. I have no intention to break out any of my Defiant back issues anytime soon, but I guess that could change.
Complete Defiant Sets Sale PricesPosted By Star Brand  (23rd Apr 16 at 11:02pm)

Here's a basically complete set of Defiant comics that moved for over $60 on eBay including shipping. Yeah, it may be missing a few of the harder to get issues that aren't what I'd consider "regular" issues...
After making the sale, the seller listed another of these sets and raised the price $10. I'm interested in this because it may speak to an increase of scarcity through attrition or other reasons, nostalgic feelings toward Defiant growing, or just a general increase in demand for Defiant back issues. Of course, it's only one sale. I'll be interested to see if the other set sells too. I give the seller credit for nailing the price on the one that sold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Defiant-Comics-mega-set-of-56-VF-NM-multiple-complete-series-by-jim-shooter-/311562139373?hash=item488a8cf6ed:g:v4UAAOSwu1VW3g05

Close
COMIC CHECKLISTS

--Recent Posts

Looking for comic book checklists?

Click Here!

Extereme

Learn About Cookies!