Life After Comics II

Visit Base Classics - Gaming Chairs

--Recent Posts

Looking for comic book checklists?

Click Here!

Life After Comics II :: Defiant Comics Discussion :: Defiant Comics Discussion :: Post Message
Post Message
Name:
Subject:

Topic Summary
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (16th Feb 21 at 9:54pm)

Hey Defiant1,

Have you ordered yours yet? I see the kickstarter now. I guess that's the only way to place my order. I see it's comic sized instead of magazine.

I told Mark from the beginning that I don't order anything online. He said John Helmer wanted to go the Kickstarter route so that excludes me from getting one.
I could probably get my girlfriend to order some for me. She doesn't live in the U.S., but she'll buy me anything I want. I opted not to waste her time having her do that. I'm working off the assumption that I'll never see a copy except for images online. I'm okay with that. I have too much stuff. I know my website inspired the whole thing. I encouraged Mark to meet Corvette Jim. I'm glad he did it. I'm glad it's funded. All that is good enough for me. He asked if I wanted any credit and I told him no.

Defiant1

Your website means a lot to me, David.

Thank you sir. Congrats on a successful kickstarter.

Defiant1

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (16th Feb 21 at 5:41pm)

Hey Defiant1,

Have you ordered yours yet? I see the kickstarter now. I guess that's the only way to place my order. I see it's comic sized instead of magazine.

I told Mark from the beginning that I don't order anything online. He said John Helmer wanted to go the Kickstarter route so that excludes me from getting one.
I could probably get my girlfriend to order some for me. She doesn't live in the U.S., but she'll buy me anything I want. I opted not to waste her time having her do that. I'm working off the assumption that I'll never see a copy except for images online. I'm okay with that. I have too much stuff. I know my website inspired the whole thing. I encouraged Mark to meet Corvette Jim. I'm glad he did it. I'm glad it's funded. All that is good enough for me. He asked if I wanted any credit and I told him no.

Defiant1

Your website means a lot to me, David.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (31st Dec 20 at 8:07pm)

yea, I kind of just wanted to get it as a quick transaction and not sure how long kickstarter takes after committing to it. Never really got involved in a kickstarter project and more and more I hate getting into putting payments in another unknown online setup for me. Even amazon has been getting easily hackable lately for people's user names.

Once the data is there, you can't undo it.
The only way to avoid risk is to not put it there.
Generally speaking, nothing is un-hackable.
There is no advance warning that an exploit has just been discovered.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (31st Dec 20 at 3:04pm)

yea, I kind of just wanted to get it as a quick transaction and not sure how long kickstarter takes after committing to it. Never really got involved in a kickstarter project and more and more I hate getting into putting payments in another unknown online setup for me. Even amazon has been getting easily hackable lately for people's user names.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (28th Dec 20 at 9:31pm)

Hey Defiant1,

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (28th Dec 20 at 6:56pm)

Hey Defiant1,

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (20th Jan 20 at 8:32pm)

I’m not sure why my friend who is publishing this led me to believe it’s 104 pages. Or maybe I led myself to believe that. In any event, I believe it will come on a 36-40 pages.

I guess font & image size can make a big difference. Smiley

Defiant1

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (20th Jan 20 at 6:52pm)

I’m not sure why my friend who is publishing this led me to believe it’s 104 pages. Or maybe I led myself to believe that. In any event, I believe it will come on a 36-40 pages.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (20th Jan 20 at 6:50pm)

The fanzine is nearing completion. We just have a few tweaks to make, then I need to proofread it for corrections, and they then need to be implemented.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (2nd Oct 19 at 8:59pm)

I reread this and thought again... that's not a fanzine. 104 pages! That's a softcover book.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (6th Sep 19 at 9:22pm)

Content for the zine is charting at 104 pages. My friend who is doing the files is slowly chipping away. This will be a marathon. That’s the update.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (20th Jul 19 at 7:12pm)

No, a small press publisher friend of mine is publishing it. The Kickstarter is his idea. I tried to talk him out of it but it’s his call now. I needed the help on this project.

Understandable. I had a period where I was wanting to publish things. I was trying to soak up the info necessary from everyone. It didn't do any good. It's almost like the people in the know intentionally don't volunteer the info.

Defiant1

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (19th Jul 19 at 10:08pm)

No, a small press publisher friend of mine is publishing it. The Kickstarter is his idea. I tried to talk him out of it but it’s his call now. I needed the help on this project.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (19th Jul 19 at 10:02pm)

Although the Defiant zine was my idea and I co-ordinate it, I turned it over in some respects to a publisher friend of mine. It turned out to be far more work than I’d imagined. He’s doing the files, and I turned over the marketing to him since he’s the publisher.

Are you referring to J.C.?

I suspect they (creators) just wanted some else's name on it so it didn't look as if they were self-promoting their work. I'm sure it'll turn out great.I abandoned the thought of getting a copy since you said you wanted to promote it on Kickstarter. I don't use or support Kickstarter or any online site that collects financial data.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (19th Jul 19 at 9:55pm)

I missed alot of these forum milestones except for when Tim Perkins visited and did his Defiant blog coverage years back which was fun. I didn't know about Paulene...I mostly thought she contributed info on Defiant/Broadway info and merchandise from the gallery pages I would click on. I came late to the party during that era. I thought she actually dropped out of comics since I didn't see her name around. Never noticed her on the Tom Strong books.

Interesting info about Darkchylde....I would collect a small stack of those issues especially when John Carpenter once announced he would make a movie out of the character. Didn't know she was based on that side girl from a Defiant alumni.

I looked at the Defiant facebook and I recognize alot of old forumers from other boards in old posts.

There are alot of pics on the Plasm #0 staple issue too. That rare book has been spread everywhere it seems. I predict the count is over 100 for that by now.

I still dislike facebook too much to participate in the chat there.

#smoke#

She is the wife of Alan Weiss, so her reaction was to my feelings about his work. One of the thing that makes his art so striking is the heavy inking over his pencils. Everything is crisp and well defined. Printing the inked portions as gray tones down everything I like about his art. She has evidently been out of comics. The Miracle on Broadway page scans on my site came from Pauline. I like her scans better than JayJay's scans. I went asking about the comic after she let me know it existed.

If I had a picture of Jennifer, I would show you how similar she looked to Darkchylde. Especially when she was younger. She's not really connected to DEFIANT other than being a long distance phone friend to J.G. Jones' wife. Since she quit working to become a full time mother, they probably haven't spoken in over a decade. I might be wrong about that though. They didn't meet in person until the same day I met J.G. Jones.

I hate Facebook too. I post & delete.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (19th Jul 19 at 9:16pm)

Although the Defiant zine was my idea and I co-ordinated it, I turned it over in some respects to a publisher friend of mine. It turned out to be far more work than I’d imagined. He’s doing the files, and I turned over the marketing to him since he’s the publisher.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (19th Jul 19 at 6:36pm)

I missed alot of these forum milestones except for when Tim Perkins visited and did his Defiant blog coverage years back which was fun. I didn't know about Paulene...I mostly thought she contributed info on Defiant/Broadway info and merchandise from the gallery pages I would click on. I came late to the party during that era. I thought she actually dropped out of comics since I didn't see her name around. Never noticed her on the Tom Strong books.

Interesting info about Darkchylde....I would collect a small stack of those issues especially when John Carpenter once announced he would make a movie out of the character. Didn't know she was based on that side girl from a Defiant alumni.

I looked at the Defiant facebook and I recognize alot of old forumers from other boards in old posts.

There are alot of pics on the Plasm #0 staple issue too. That rare book has been spread everywhere it seems. I predict the count is over 100 for that by now.

I still dislike facebook too much to participate in the chat there.

#smoke#

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (18th Jul 19 at 4:40pm)

Art Holcomb also visited my old board and said he'd look for scripts and such. I'm still waiting. I have nothing to say there.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (18th Jul 19 at 3:57pm)

I've interacted with all of them except David Hillman.

Pauline was horrified that I didn't know what the Chrysler building was. Secretly, I don't give a flying acrobatic shit about New York. Everything I've seen in the media makes it look like a 24 hour a day steaming shit hole.

She seemed upset that I didn't like grey tone inks in Tom Strong. Her editorial background initiated a tone as if she wanted to steer the content of my websites. I was trying to spotlight the properties, not the creators. The creation is often bigger than the creators. Fans of the creations will discover the creators organically. She seemed upset that I didn't specifically list some of the content she had submitted. I have no problem with her, but she probably had a problem with me.

I don't idolize comic creators to the degree that other fans do. They are people. I've known a lot of interesting people. I respect raw talent and my expectations are specific and elevated above what many other fans expect.

Quite a few of the creative staff acted as if I was working for them by creating a fan site. Ed Polgardy was the worst. When I'm staying up until 3AM working on updates to my web page and getting up at 5:45AM to go to my regular job, I don't really care for someone telling me what I should or should not be doing. My web pages are unpaid recreational effort to wind down from a day of hard work. It's not my job. You get what you get. Inspire me, don't tell me how it's going to be. The end result was that I shut everything down for a long time. I was tired of getting minimal or no sleep.

I met J.G. Jones and he didn't keep his end of an agreement that was supposed to transpire by email. I have an elephant's memory on things like that. I don't sit around yearning to be treated as someone with significance and merit. I am arrogant and believe I can do anything I want to do. I am the opposite of an inferiority complex. J.G. Jones disregarded our conversation, so I disregard him and moved on. I wish him the best, I just don't want interactions like that in my life. I would not initiate a conversation online. His wife was phone friends with a girl I know. I ~think~ his wife worked for DC as a rep and called the girl I know on a regular basis because she was managing a comic book store at the time. I don't see that girl anymore because she quit working at the store to be a full time mother. The girl is ~probably~ the visual inspiration for Darkchylde because Randy Queen used to buy comics at the store where she worked. The girl looks very similar to Darkchylde. I used to mess with her all the time. I'd hold up Darkchylde covers and say "Randy imagines you without much clothes on-- a lot!" My point is that I could've been more proactive in trying to contact him directly or through that girl. I lost all interest in doing so.

I have the highest regard for Tim Perkins. He's very down to Earth and I wish him well. We exchanged emails a few months ago in regards to his art which he was putting up for sale. I specifically asked if he had some unpublished pieces. He did not.

Joe James visited my old board once. He was too busy to come back. That's fine. If he's that busy, I don't need to bother him.

I'm not the person these people need to be chatting with online. I'm not easily impressed and I'll say exactly what's on my mind if I don't like something. It's absolutely perfect that Mark Davis is running that Facebook group and I'm not posting. Mark has the exact amount of enthusiasm that the creators need. I'm not into feeding emotions and egos. I'm not into having people thank me for what I do or don't do.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (18th Jul 19 at 10:47am)

I checked out the facebook Defiant page for the first time....wow, there are alot of Defiant creators on there. I see Pauline Weiss, JG Jones, Tim Perkins and others posting there recently. I see the Glory #0 comic cover goes back a couple years by corvettejim? (the only Jim I see with rare Defiant stuff....)

Smiley

But Defiant cool pics. I never saw Pauline post about comics before....and Art Holcomb is in the older posts too....

I just hate facebook in general which is why I never tuned in before...

Smiley
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (25th May 19 at 7:38pm)

Hoping to have this finished in June. We’ve decided to try a Kickstarter for it.

Good luck with it. I was willing to buy multiple copies, but I don't do kickstarter. I hope all goes well.

I was disappointed that you didn't get an interview with Georges Jeanty. I know he'd be willing to do an interview. He offered to let me interview him, but that's not my cup of tea.

Defiant1

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (25th May 19 at 1:46pm)

Hoping to have this finished in June. We’ve decided to try a Kickstarter for it.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (6th Jan 19 at 3:07pm)

Jim gets asked the same questions a lot. I just hope it's not the same stuff I've read before.

Defiant1

No holds were barred on his answers.

He tends to give similar answers because he gets asked the same questions.

A big fan of a rock band doesn't go to a concert to hear a band play their biggest hits.
They've heard the hits thousands of times.
They want to hear the songs played less often.

Defiant1

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (6th Jan 19 at 11:15am)

I think he has been contacted regarding it.

As of December 16th, he said he had not been contacted.

Defiant1

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (5th Jan 19 at 1:10pm)

Jim gets asked the same questions a lot. I just hope it's not the same stuff I've read before.

Defiant1

No holds were barred on his answers.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (5th Jan 19 at 1:10pm)

I think he has been contacted regarding it.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (16th Dec 18 at 2:10pm)

Went to a show today. Georges Jeanty was not setup, but he was there shopping. I asked him if he'd been contacted with regards to the fanzine. He said "no". I'm sure he'd contribute if contacted.

Here is his website.
www.kabalounge.com

Contact form...
http://kabalounge.com/kaba/contact/

If you want to message me, I can give you his email address.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (1st Dec 18 at 2:29am)

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (30th Nov 18 at 10:40pm)

That interview is a home run.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (27th Nov 18 at 6:23pm)

I guess a simple question would be is if he's interested in doing it again with the same characters if the opportunity became available. I don't think "what could have been" interests me as much as what could be.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (27th Nov 18 at 10:24am)

What would be a must-ask question for Jim Shooter regarding Defiant? No guarantee it would be asked if theoretically we land an interview with him.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (15th Nov 18 at 7:44pm)

We're awaiting the last and most important interview...

Thanks for the update.

Defiant1

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (15th Nov 18 at 4:25pm)

We're awaiting the last and most important interview...
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (17th Oct 18 at 7:12pm)

Any new teasers from the fanzine?

{Grin}

That Schism with the monster page still looks kool.

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (6th Oct 18 at 12:13am)

Silly man! I OWN the only color Schism page.

I added a link to Pauline Weiss' Facebook page on the creators thread here.

Have I ever shown you a picture of my ugly mug?

https://www.zazzle.com/big_ugly_mug-168330067771170178

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (5th Oct 18 at 10:53pm)

The DEFIANT fanzine I’m putting together will have an exclusive Jim Shooter interview by JC Vaughn. We’re close to the finish line as well. Recently I’ve been working with corvettejim to put together a DEFIANT checklist for the zine. Jim has the most extensive DEFIANT collection known to exist, and is pretty much a DEFIANT savant. We have a JG Jones interview for the zine in the can, along with a Joe James interview and more. I’ve been blessed to be able to get a scan of the only colored Schism page too. Just lots of exclusive stuff for the DEFIANT zine. As an added bonus, my ugly mug should appear in it somewhere as well.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (5th Oct 18 at 10:12pm)

The zine is nearly finished. Shooter just turned in the first batch of answers for the JC Vaughn interview too.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (20th Sep 18 at 7:22pm)

Sounds good. Jim is a great resource.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (20th Sep 18 at 1:00pm)

Going to be working on the zine today with Corvette Jim.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (14th Sep 18 at 4:03am)

I can see that being a roadblock. I know that all the media crosssovers and inserts help to promote the characters. Unfortunately, it created a complex mess for tracking and listing everything. A marketing company should consider that when promoting a comics line. Sometimes a simple straightforward approach can be a better path to a loyal customer.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (13th Sep 18 at 10:15pm)

I finally have figured out a way to put the comprehensive DEFIANT checklist together as far as formatting it for the fanzine. I think we’ll have it to the printer this year. That is important, as it’s the 25th anniversary of DEFIANT.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (3rd Mar 18 at 4:26pm)

He could scan or take pictures of him holding some of the original items he brings to show and transcribe his stories about them along with the pictures. He could bind the booklets with a cover. Starbrand could let Jim put the DEFIANT fanzine on his table when Jim does shows and have Jim sell the fanzines on a consignment basis for a cut of the sales.

Defiant1

I might check into this. Thanks.

I understand the logistical issue is that someone has to cover the publishing costs for extra copies that might not sell immediately.

Defiant1

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (3rd Mar 18 at 1:49pm)

He could scan or take pictures of him holding some of the original items he brings to show and transcribe his stories about them along with the pictures. He could bind the booklets with a cover. Starbrand could let Jim put the DEFIANT fanzine on his table when Jim does shows and have Jim sell the fanzines on a consignment basis for a cut of the sales.

Defiant1

I might check into this. Thanks.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (3rd Mar 18 at 1:48pm)

That's a good idea. Give Jim a stack to sell at his conventions. Smiley

Imagine if this excites new fans to get into or discover Defiant again. He gets tons of fans anyway for his Marvel work and i'm sure they'd buy whatever he sells at his tables.

Last year I saw his table and he displays the first edition Plasm binder with pride next to his giant portfolios.

I definitely plan on getting a comp copy of the zine to Shooter. I'm not sure I'll get him much more than that, as I'm a small publisher.

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (3rd Mar 18 at 1:46pm)

With Jim in the fanzine this sounds like an official sequel to the Defiant universe. Smiley Great timing for the quarter century anniversary. I would ask what he had in mind with the Defiant characters when he wrote the Fatale/DarkDominion special script and if he had planned to merge the universes together for Broadway year two. I remember hearing somewhere that he got the defiant rights as part of a settlement with river group somewhere so maybe that's where he might have headed with the Defiant characters. Maybe he doesn't remember but the Fatale script might jog his memory. Defiant comics would have looked great with the Broadway production quality he had made with the Broadway books. Even with the glossy cardstock covers they had early on. To me, Broadway was the best produced set of comics out of all his comic universes.

Another Defiant alumni is Chris Claremont even though he only did two issues of Prudence & Caution. He was actually at a convention nearby this weekend but I didn't notice it till the next day. I'm sure he's forgotten about with all his X-Men work on the brain.

If there is a Shooter interview in this fanzine, I won't be doing it. It would be in far better hands than mine, and as much as I'd like to suggest your question, VS, I think I'll stay away from suggestions on a potential interview with the big guy.

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (2nd Mar 18 at 10:20pm)

Why would Jim be any less proud of DEFIANT. It was closer to really being his own company. He still had the financial partners, but it was him getting to really call a lot of theshots.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (2nd Mar 18 at 5:01pm)

That's a good idea. Give Jim a stack to sell at his conventions. Smiley

Imagine if this excites new fans to get into or discover Defiant again. He gets tons of fans anyway for his Marvel work and i'm sure they'd buy whatever he sells at his tables.

Last year I saw his table and he displays the first edition Plasm binder with pride next to his giant portfolios.

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (1st Mar 18 at 8:02pm)

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (1st Mar 18 at 1:23pm)

I saw Peter David at one convention. He was selling signed scripts of the "New Titans" and "Spaced" tv show scripts from his table. I thumbed through them and alot of them had layout pages too. Kieth Giffen was selling scripts too with his art as well. Black and white photocopies signed.

If Shooter sold any scripts of his own at his conventions, i'd add to cart.

Smiley
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (27th Feb 18 at 1:29am)

I can't remember if I've ever seen Claremont in person. Probably not. I used to just walk by Peter David's table. I don't normally converse with writers at shows.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (26th Feb 18 at 8:57pm)

With Jim in the fanzine this sounds like an official sequel to the Defiant universe. Smiley Great timing for the quarter century anniversary. I would ask what he had in mind with the Defiant characters when he wrote the Fatale/DarkDominion special script and if he had planned to merge the universes together for Broadway year two. I remember hearing somewhere that he got the defiant rights as part of a settlement with river group somewhere so maybe that's where he might have headed with the Defiant characters. Maybe he doesn't remember but the Fatale script might jog his memory. Defiant comics would have looked great with the Broadway production quality he had made with the Broadway books. Even with the glossy cardstock covers they had early on. To me, Broadway was the best produced set of comics out of all his comic universes.

Another Defiant alumni is Chris Claremont even though he only did two issues of Prudence & Caution. He was actually at a convention nearby this weekend but I didn't notice it till the next day. I'm sure he's forgotten about with all his X-Men work on the brain.

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (25th Feb 18 at 10:57pm)

You will find in life that who you know and who you associate with has a lot to do with how far you go. If you set the bar low, you get low results. Creativity feeds upon itself and and when you collect motivated people who are ambitious, a group can inspire one another to do better and be more creative. The difference is that you become relevant on a larger scale by working with other creative types.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (25th Feb 18 at 10:03pm)

I agree. I've been fortunate in that due to the work of others this is really going to be a quality publication, too. I'll give comps to all creators interviewed as well.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (25th Feb 18 at 12:50pm)

I think Jim would be proud to do the interview for this publication. His career has found a renewed positive shift since he started touring the convention circuit and doing more interviews.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (25th Feb 18 at 12:25pm)

Well, I don't want to jinx it!
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (25th Feb 18 at 2:24am)

I have a big interview commitment for the fanzine. I don't want to announce it yet, but it's really large.

Uh oh! You screwed up and announced it.

My guess is that you would not describe an Alan Weiss interview as "really large". JayJay is happy to chat with anyone, so that isn't "really large". Steve Ditko doesn't typically do interviews. Adam Polina's career has faded since he moved to Asia and started selling scalp razors. That leaves only Jim. Congrats!

As soon as you mentioned that J.C. Vaughn was involved, I had already assumed that you'd be eventually interviewing Jim.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (25th Feb 18 at 12:37am)

I have a big interview commitment for the fanzine. I don't want to announce it yet, but it's really large.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (21st Feb 18 at 6:33pm)

J.G. Jones was good friends with JayJay for awhile. I think they drifted apart from keeping in touch after he got married. J.G. Jones' wife had worked for DC as I guess a sales rep. She was phone friends with a girl named Jennifer that managed a local comic shop in my area. They talked regularly. They finally got to meet at a convention in my area.
I'm pretty sure he drew his wife for this cover...

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (21st Feb 18 at 6:28pm)

I think all of the DEFIANT creators look back on their time with the company and think highly of that period in their lives. Charles Yoakum is an exception and one other person felt betrayed at the end, but still was proud of the experience. I won't name the other person's name. I think an early writer of Charlemagne #1 had a gripe at the time also. Forget his name. After a quick look, I think Philip Nutman had an issue with Shooter. He did the plot and I think he came from a background of writing novels, not comics. My memory on that is vague at this point.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (21st Feb 18 at 8:28am)

I might bump up my order quantity to 20 copies at this rate. No promises though. I've got extra money on hand now so it's easy to say.

Defiant1

Thanks for your support, whatever you decide on! I just read the JG JONES interview. I couldn't imagine a better one. He speaks highly of SHOOTER, that much I can say.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (21st Feb 18 at 8:26am)

JG JONES interview for fanzine completed.

Nice....getting exciting...

Side note...JG Jones included one of the unpublished Dark Dominion covers in his later sketchbooks:

http://comics.vforums.co.uk/Defiant/5327/dark-dominion#reply-22

Small section of the cover art but it made it to print....it's about ashcan size the sketchbook....

Smiley

SWEET!

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (18th Feb 18 at 12:00pm)

I'd like a few. Not sure how many. #smoke#

Sounds like the Defiant reunion is getting bigger. From this thread I count:

- Joe James
- JG Jones
- Art Holcomb (Chasm #0!)
- JC Vaughn

I guess the next wish list of creators would be JayJay, Shooter, Lapham, Paulene Weiss, Georges Jeantey (Dogs Of War!)....Steve Ditko?.... {Grin}

Smiley

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (17th Feb 18 at 6:56pm)

I might bump up my order quantity to 20 copies at this rate. No promises though. I've got extra money on hand now so it's easy to say.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (17th Feb 18 at 3:21pm)

Nice....getting exciting...

Side note...JG Jones included one of the unpublished Dark Dominion covers in his later sketchbooks:

http://comics.vforums.co.uk/Defiant/5327/dark-dominion#reply-22

Small section of the cover art but it made it to print....it's about ashcan size the sketchbook....

Smiley

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (17th Feb 18 at 1:37pm)

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (12th Jan 18 at 1:58pm)

It depends on if one of the main Defiant creators comes through as far as whether there will be any Shooter pics. Well, once I start reaching out to people about getting close to publishing I still might be able to come up with some surprises.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (11th Jan 18 at 8:09pm)

Give us a 2018 teaser! {Grin}

#smoke#

Any jim shooter cameos in the fanzine?

{Shocked}
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (10th Jan 18 at 11:47pm)

Sounds good.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (10th Jan 18 at 10:10pm)

Jim Hollister had a wonderful surprise for me tonight. I've been struggling with illness over the last month or so, and consequently haven't been able to work on inventorying his Defiant collection. I dropped in on him briefly tonight and he he had finished the inventory on his own. The document he produced will be used for the checklist for the Defiant fanzine. I have to type it into a Word document still, and it'll have to be proof read etc. Once that is finished I'll be taking a look at what's ready for the zine. We'll probably pretty much just go with what we have at that point. I'm hoping the Defiant fanzine will be ready to publish in about three months. I think that's a fair estimate.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (21st Sep 17 at 6:58pm)

Here is the link... same thread.

Defiant1

You've already written an interview piece for the fanzine. Quit playing modest!

http://defiant.x10.bz/Creators/Greg_Boone.html

Defiant1

I forgot about this. I guess I could use it!!

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (21st Sep 17 at 4:38pm)

Defiant1, where's the Greg Boone interview you recently posted to the board? I thought you put it in this thread. I'll be interviewing him anew for the zine, but wanted to consult that interview in case it gave me an idea or two to revisit. Ty.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (12th Sep 17 at 6:19pm)

Thanks VS.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (12th Sep 17 at 10:42am)

Twomorrows puts out some good magazine collections....run by Roy Thomas:

https://www.twomorrows.com/

They did this one awhile ago:

http://subs.twomorrows.com/awshoot/AlterEgo137Online.pdf

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (12th Sep 17 at 3:42am)

Yeah, I will. Can't hurt to try.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (10th Sep 17 at 11:41am)

Obviously J.C. would know more about the requirements, but I know that Diamond had raised their minimum requirements for being listed. Many high quality publishers are unable to be listed because the order quantities on their product was not meeting minimum Diamond thresholds that were required required for being listed. I'd definitely ask J.C if it's feasible.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (10th Sep 17 at 11:20am)

I was thinking of trying to get it into Previews.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (9th Sep 17 at 11:32pm)

Maybe you can get a bigger publisher to publish it for you.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (9th Sep 17 at 10:42pm)

The number of interviews we're getting lined up for the zine are climbing. Very exciting.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (5th Sep 17 at 11:45pm)

Exactly. I toned that post down for you. I knew you didn't want my uncensored opinion.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (5th Sep 17 at 10:52pm)

Whoa.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (5th Sep 17 at 9:32pm)

Mr Hanky the x-mas poo icon! Yes!

Smiley
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (5th Sep 17 at 9:04pm)

JCV wrote some articles about some Valiant fans and I had some disagreements with him online. I didn't classify the disagreement as anything more than a difference of opinion. In a way, I think of him as the innocent guy that didn't realize he'd stepped in Image.
The Image being his interview of Mr. Scott from the Valiant messageboard... and Greg too.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (5th Sep 17 at 8:44pm)

My first awareness of Mr. Vaughn's name was the Battlestar Galactica comic that had a short story by Jim Shooter. Then, over time, I kept seeing the name more often. Eventually, it clicked that his name and Jim's name seemed to be connected and it seemed like more than a coincidence. Eventually, I realized he worked for Gemstone and that he'd written the DEFIANT article for Overstreet. It was really a slow and evolving process to even know he existed. I don't really know the extent of what he did in the past.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (5th Sep 17 at 7:54pm)

The comic itself was the main reason I sent out for it. I think I either threw the returned envelope away or I slipped it in a Dark Dominion binder. It's just odd how nothing came of it for being one of the early ones mentioned.

Even Glory #0 got her shot! Speaking of which. Didn't JCV edit those from the Overstreet Monthly magazine back then? Or FAN Magazine for the Charlemange #0 comic? Maybe he actually has a connection to Defiant year two....

hmmmm.....

Smiley
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (5th Sep 17 at 12:15pm)

The River Group had an over-aggresive business plan. Between sales dropping and DEFIANT not being able to keep up with the flow of artwork, they were probably at a stalemate with one another.

I'd never heard the story of what happened for people who sent in for the Chasm #0. I made no effort. I was fed up with the cards by that point.

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (5th Sep 17 at 10:51am)

Maybe there's a Dogs Of War #0 up his sleeve? Smiley

I still want to see Chasm #0! I mailed out for that issue years ago and got my envelope returned back to me unopened! Smiley

It's funny how Charlemange and Great Grimmax got their own zero issues the following year Chasm #0 was announced and not a shred of anything has appeared from Chasm.

{Shocked} Smiley

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (5th Sep 17 at 5:27am)

The Zine is going to be far better than I expected. There's going to be some content that might even amaze Defiant1.

I'm not easily amazed, so don't be disappointed. Let's shoot for pleasantly surprised. LOL!

Defiant1

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (5th Sep 17 at 5:25am)

The Art Holcomb interview JC Vaughn did for the fanzine has a major bombshell. Art speaks of the planned ending of DOGS OF WAR.

We already knew the series had a bombshell ending. Maybe something more?

Defiant1

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (5th Sep 17 at 1:29am)

The Zine is going to be far better than I expected. There's going to be some content that might even amaze Defiant1.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (4th Sep 17 at 11:27pm)

Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe we'll tie the Fanzine into it being 25 years since the start of DEFIANT.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (4th Sep 17 at 11:26pm)

I think February had the plasm zero inside that previews issue but I count the anniversary by year. Smiley
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (4th Sep 17 at 11:20pm)

Nice! Eagerly waiting. Smiley

I take it from your avatar, the fanzine is all color? Smiley

P.s. 4 more months till the 25th anniversary of defiant....

Smiley

Four more months? So it was launched in January 1993?

Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (4th Sep 17 at 11:19pm)

Good point about the anniversary of DEFIANT! It'll probably be all color. I'm not positive yet.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (4th Sep 17 at 11:17pm)

Nice! Eagerly waiting. Smiley

I take it from your avatar, the fanzine is all color? Smiley

P.s. 4 more months till the 25th anniversary of defiant....

Smiley
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (4th Sep 17 at 11:02pm)

The Art Holcomb interview JC Vaughn did for the fanzine has a major bombshell. Art speaks of the planned ending of DOGS OF WAR.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (31st Aug 17 at 6:27pm)

Cool. #smoke#

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (31st Aug 17 at 5:41pm)

My new avatar is a small sample of the colors on the Fanzine cover.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Star Brand  (31st Aug 17 at 12:48am)

Lol.
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By Defiant1  (30th Aug 17 at 11:00pm)

... from her purse. Smiley#smoke#

Defiant1
Re: Putting together a DEFIANT Comics fanzinePosted By vikingspawn  (30th Aug 17 at 10:46pm)

hahaha.....I would go for a variant like that! Speaking of which, i'm going to spark up a quantum cig right now.

Like Jian Yang says...Special occasion:

#smoke#

Close
COMIC CHECKLISTS

--Recent Posts

Looking for comic book checklists?

Click Here!

Extereme

Learn About Cookies!